Brushing and flossing daily is the most important thing to safeguard your teeth from cavities and gum disease. It is essential to brush after every meal to avoid plaque buildup on tooth enamel. Flossing is also important because it reaches between teeth and removes food particles that get stuck there. This can help you prevent the formation of cavities.
Along with brushing and flossing, you should also regularly visit our dentist at Ash & Rowan Family Dentistry for examinations and cleanings. The dentist can detect any early signs of decay and treat it before it spreads and causes irreparable damage. Also, professional cleanings will remove tartar buildup that causes gum disease. If your dentist does find that you have gingivitis or periodontitis, they can recommend specific treatments to reverse the condition. Additionally, if you have missing teeth, such as from a traumatic injury or advanced tooth decay, your dentist can discuss possible solutions to restoring your smile and oral health.
Good Oral Hygiene Habits
- Maintain a healthy diet by limiting sugar intake and eating fruits and vegetables daily for essential vitamins and minerals to keep your teeth and gums healthy.
- Visit the dentist regularly for professional cleanings and exams because the more often you come in, the less chance you’ll develop serious oral health issues like gum disease or tooth decay.
- Stop smoking or using tobacco of any kind because not only can these substances stain your teeth and cause bad breath, but they can also cause significant damage to your oral health.
- Consider using mouthwash as part of your daily regimen. This can boost your oral care routine and help target specific areas of your mouth to promote better oral health.
- Avoid drinking soda and other acidic beverages like sports and energy drinks. These drinks wear down the enamel on your teeth, increasing your risk of tooth decay. If you enjoy these types of drinks, rinse your mouth with water after you finish to wash away the sugar and acid left behind.
- Wear a custom-fitted mouthguard if you play sports to protect your teeth from injury.
Importance of Oral Hygiene
A lifetime of healthy teeth can be ensured when you brush, floss, and regularly visit our office for checkups and cleanings. During your appointment, we will remove plaque buildup from your teeth to prevent cavities or gum disease. We will also take X-rays periodically to monitor any tooth decay that may develop between appointments. If left untreated, decay can spread and cause severe damage to the tooth.
Investing in your oral health can save time and money by preventing problems before they arise. Regular preventive care can also ensure that you always have a white smile that you can be proud of!
Get in touch with Ash & Rowan Family Dentistry at 5528 N Ash St, Spokane, WA 99205, or call (509) 325-1886 to learn how we can help you provide a lifetime of excellent oral health.